Saturday, June 13, 2026

Innovator's Lonlieness

**The Innovator’s Loneliness**

I was sitting at a table in Subic with a group of people who work with plastic waste. On the table in front of me I had real products — furniture I made from fluff plastic, different sizes and colors of consistent lumber, and printed tarps of stuff I make. Actual things you can use and build with.


I tried to explain what I see: that some of the messiest, most difficult plastic streams can be turned into proper, usable material at scale. That post-industrial sheets nobody wants because they’re printed could feed real production instead of just being collected or stored. I wasn’t pitching a theory. I was showing them what I’m already doing.


Only one person in the room actually understood what I was talking about. And even he didn’t say, “Let’s do this.” He just got it. That was the high point of the conversation.

Everyone else either looked confused or gently steered things back to what they know — cleanups and EPR credits. That’s where almost everyone is right now. The work is still mostly about getting plastic out of the environment and helping companies meet their compliance targets through collection and reporting. Actual production — consistently turning waste into sellable products — is still rare. Most people and organizations haven’t really stepped into that part yet.

So when you sit there with finished furniture made from the fraction everyone else struggles with, or you talk about taking several tons of printed PETG sheets and feeding them into a production process, you’re speaking from a different place. It’s not that people don’t care. It’s that their entire frame is still removal and compliance. Cleanup is visible and fundable. Production is slower, less certain, and requires a different way of thinking about the material.

That’s the loneliness I’m feeling right now.

It’s not dramatic. It’s the quiet understanding that I’m already thinking about manufacturing, consistency, and higher-value uses while most of the room is still organized around collection and credits. I keep running into the same gap. I have several tons of clean post-industrial PETG sitting here — good material, just printed — and it’s hard to move because the people who could use it aren’t yet thinking in terms of production. They’re still thinking in terms of cleanups.

The strange thing is that this loneliness also tells me something useful. If most of the activity is still at the cleanup and EPR stage, then the space for real production is still wide open. The people who are already making consistent products from difficult streams have more room than it feels like on the surface.

I’m not going to keep trying to explain the full picture in rooms that aren’t there yet. I’m going to keep building what I can actually build, keep the proof in front of me, and look for the smaller number of people who already think in terms of making things instead of just moving them. The furniture is already here. The lumber works. The PETG is still waiting for someone who wants to run production with it.


Being this far ahead feels lonely sometimes. But it also means I’m not competing with many people yet. I’m just early. And I’d rather be early and a little alone than surrounded by people who can’t see the next step.

4 comments:

Phil said...

Being ahead of the curve gives you the advantage of being able to put yourself into the position of taking advantage of market space and being able to adapt your strategy before anyone else can get a foothold. Unfortunately it also puts you in the position of being the gunea pig and having to find the problems first without having anyone else to use for experience and problem solving.
I have been following along with your trials and tribulations for a couple of years at least and you have come a long damn way man. If you can get this new site going at full capacity you have a good shot at being a leader of industry eventually. The biggest issue I see you having consistently is finding decent labor.
I wish you the very best of luck and will continue to follow along with great interest.
👍
Phil

James said...

What you're doing is really impressive. Practical, and (once you've done the heavy lifting of getting the inputs to be the outputs you want) not just useful, but necessary.

Wife, daughter and I produce a rather large, typical Western amount of plastic waste. Jugs, packaging, pill bottles, juice containers - all going to the local landfill, to be someone else's problem in some near or distant future.

With less land every year for tree planting and harvest after 18-20 years (we live in Northern Florida on a former slash pine tree farm, grown for lumber and pulpwood), direct plastic "waste" into feeder stock for plastic baskets, tables and chairs, other (food and non-food) containers, just makes so much sense.

The fact that so few are doing this is baffling to me. For example - right now I need another computer table as a second work station. My computer and 28" monitor don't need lumber and steel, table just a table at the right altitude for my keyboard, mouse and chair. Thick enough plastic would do just fine. Surely there is enough demand to consume all the plastics our area (not far from Gainesville, FL) produces.

admin said...

What is even more bizarre is that some guy in Florida is only having some crap table shipped literally half around the globe from China-land when it could have done locally. This should not be a difficult task. We get the shit plastic, we gind it up, dry it, make it into a pellet or granule to flow in a feed hopper. Extrusion mahine which is basically a glorified heated sausage stuffer pumps the hot plastic into a steel mold and after it cools you got a thing.
When I got into the resilient living thing, I saw plastic litter and thought, ya know even if you had no money you take that shit material and make something new.

James said...

Agree fully, Admin.

My own ton (or however much) of locally produced plastic every year should make my - or anyone in my driving area - computer tables, chairs, step stools or whatever. Just what is the fuel component of shipping a cheap but durable computer table from China, as opposed to using local plastic waste, hire Americans, and have me go pick it up when I'm in town?

This seriously needs fixing. It would save much.