Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Americans who die in Philippines

 Americans,  especially the washed up ones who end up in places like Angeles or the far asshole of some squatter-ville often do not end up having a proper funeral.  This is especially true for those randos who come here for chasing the prostitutes, ladyboys and bad habits.  

The military veterans, if the spouse has a copy of the dd214 can get some reimbursement and a spot in the Clark cemetery.  But unless the spouse has some  money, or can raise some, the guy is generally fucked.  

I recently heard of a European guy who died here.  His family was in Europe, poor and no way to go to the Philipines to handle the remains.  There was a predatory funeral home and associates in the police who tried to scam the Euro family and it was not until a friend of the deceased got the department of health involved, did the funeral operator who turned out to be operating on a suspended license to hand over the remains.

Another instance I knew of was a American guy I grew up with.  He visited here with his Filipino/American wife.  Me and him was not close.  More like aquantances by the time he died.  I did not even know he died until I saw some post begging for money to send his body home.  He showed up here, caught flu and died in less than 10 days.  

Death abroad is fairly common.  I read that a Australian is shipped home dead from Bali once a week on average.  I can only imagine how much more it is here.  The American embassy for the most part will not assist with money. So zero time should be spent there except for some documents to ship a body, you on your own.  Americans are lucky to get a visit from the embassy if they are in jail here, much less a funeral assist.  The American embassy is only to serve the interests of Washington DC, not for citizen assistance.  

You have a stroke, heart attack, terminal cancer or car accident, you not gonna get help, other than a last resort loan and restricted passport until the gov gets their money back to return you back to the USA. 

Going abroad as a American one should face the fact that they truely are on their own.  With rare exceptions for politically connected, or Americans kidnapped by terrorists.




No comments: