Tuesday, March 21, 2017

3D Printed Dust Collector For CNC Spindle

I ordered a dust collector from China almost a month ago, and it still has not arrived.  I really need one as I am hesitant to machine anything here right now as the dust is overwhelming me.

Yesterday, I sat down and drew in CAD a 3D printed version.

Then I attempted to print it.

With disastrous results.



My new printer arrived from china as a kit and I assembled it.  I noticed that the printed extruder wasn't done very well, but being in a hurry (never be a moron in a hurry)  I opted to use it instead of fabricating a adapter plate and messing with that.

I had 3 failed prints in a row that pretty much wasted my time until 1 in the afternoon.  I discovered then that the supplied extruder was crap, and deformed once the motor got warm, softening the plastic.

I fabricated a new plate, installed it and then other neglected issues popped up with the printer.  Namely one part was kind of poorly printed and I had been holding off for the machine to actually fail before disassembling everything and putting in the new parts.  The Chinese supplier had sent me a set of files to print my own replacement parts, so I had made those as one of the first things I did.

I had printed them at 100% solid vs the low infill that the China parts arrived in so they are much more stronger.  I probably will end up machining replacement parts from nylon or aluminum on the mill if I get some time and initiative.

So right now I have 2 of the 3 pieces made.  The remaining adaptter to hold the vacuum cleaner hose is 30% printed as I type this.

Here are the files.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2191818

Basically the vacuum cleaner suction is directed to around the bit and then a flexible brush skirt is attached to keep the chips from flying away before the vacuum can suck them.

Its only a $20 item to buy in sheet metal, but I need it now not a month from now.

No comments: