Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Death of the Sign Making Industry, Long live the Sign Industry.

I have many interests in business.  

Not everything  I do revolves around 3D printing. I do have a interest in the signage business as well.

I have been around this industry off and of since 2009, in between my middle East time.

One thing, I failed to do, and should have done is back in 2011 when I was casting about for a way to feed myself was invest in a CO2 laser when I had the cash instead of a CNC plasma table.

Several years ago, I was making signs and a lot of lettering.  It was easy to get work and plentiful.  I could bill $25-50 bucks per letter in a sign, even in a third world country, I was easily able to get those rates.

However awhile back I saw something for sale at the local hardware store that made me stop in my tracks.

It was a very large LCD tv for about $500.  Now that seems maybe a lot of cash for a TV and entertainment item.  But for a sign... It's damn cheap.

I remember not long ago seeing these signs made from led bulbs that kind of looked like a TV from a distance. They were expensive too.

Now I can basically put a cheap LCD in a acrylic box, hang it from the wall outside and use photoshop or a cheap video editing program to make a video that goes on a thumb drive and runs on endless repeat.

Vegas style signs for $500.  

I can't send out to have a edge lit sign made for that price.

It's on my soon to so list for the office.  

Now you ask yourself, what if I don't have the ability or funds for a box?  Or I live in a area where extreme cold or heat might damage one of these TV?

No problem really, just stick it in your front window.




2 comments:

lordjim said...

Been doing signage like this since 2009 at the library where I work. If the TV doesn't have the ability to loop files on a USB drive, a cheap DVD player with a looping DVD works great too.

admin said...

It's the price breakpoint that has got me now. The tv i saw was easily 65 inches from some no name Chinese company.

cheaper to put up a TV than to cut, bend and powder coat metal, or god forbid go neon.