Wednesday, January 20, 2016

3D Printer Bed Adhesive Sheet

One of the biggest issues with 3D printing using the FDM method is that the molten plastic when laid down often times does not stick to the bed. 

Various techneques are used to make the material stick.  PLA glue, ABS plastic dissolved in acetone, hair spray, blue painters tape are the most common materials.

However there are other methods that have started to percolate thru the industry. 

One method is by using a proprietary material that is then adhered to the glass bed, one is able to skip entirely the glue/tape process. Basically print on this material.

I have been watching others experiment and seeing several new types of coatings being offered.  However I decided to experiment with various materials and coatings myself. 

At long last I have had my 'eureka!' moment.  I finally cracked the materials science behind the coating.

So in about a month once the store is fully stocked and running, I will be offering my own bed adhesion material.

I still have not finalized a name for it yet however.

I am testing it with both PLA and ABS, and so far on unheated print beds I am able to successfully print without the bottom of the print warping.  It does take a little effort to remove which is a good thing.

The same print surface so far has endured many repeated uses in the same spot to determine if this is a viable material.  So far early indicators are that yes it is good.

More testing will be conducted over the course of the next month and if successful I will have another item to add to the product line.

So far I make 3D printers, CNC routers, CNC mini mills, 3D printer parts and coming very soon a new super low cost laser engraver.

Things finally getting traction as the last few years of effort is showing fruit. 

The new CO2 laser will be arriving soon, and the solid state laser will be upgraded to a higher power laser.

Fused deposition modeling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_deposition_modeling
Wikipedia
It is one of the techniques used for 3D printing. FDM works on an "additive" principle by laying down material in layers; a plastic filament or metal wire is ...

No comments: