Thursday, November 12, 2015

Saddams Last Ride

I was in Tikrit working in COB Speicher when Saddam was hanged.  

We was told to expect some rockets sent our way, so I had my vest and helmet in the truck.  

Me and my helper Kumar a Sri Lankan Catholic was out on the route filling up generators with jp8.  My last generator was the one at the front gate by the cross eyed Saddam statue.

I was looking forward to screwing off for an hour or so before my shift ended and eating chow.

I noticed a bunch of MP at the helipad there when a MP told me to stop right there, and wait to fill up the generator up after they were done.

A helicopter landed, and off came a plywood box made of shoddy construction, typical of Arab coffins.

I used to see the same thing on top of taxis in other parts of Iraq so I knew what it was.

It did not really strike me at the moment as to what I was seeing though. Not until the next day did I realize who was in that coffin after reading a news report bout it.

The coffin was loaded on top of a shitty beat up right hand drive surplus Korean van.  There was 2 Iraqis in dirty man dresses.  One old one and one younger one.  

They tied the coffin down to the top of the van, and out the front gate they went with MP in the front and back.

That is how Saddam took his last ride.  On the top of a shitbox van in a plywood box.




No comments: