Monday, March 2, 2015

3D printing and noobs.

Just a quick update.  

Posts have been sparse lately due to getting the new 3D printer production started.

I learned a very important lesson the other day about 3D Printing.  I guess it is cause I have spent so long working and studying it that I neglected to tell people this.

3D printing is not easy!

It will not be pushbutton easy in the next few years!

Recently I let one of my prototype machines out in the wild to a total noob.  I had planned on a full day of instruction to get him up to speed.  I demonstrated the machine, gave him pointers and tips, but he was in a hurry and did not want to spend the time learning.

Lo and behold, I get angry messages saying the machine does not work a day later.  

He expected something easy and pushbutton right off the bat.  

Well hate to burst your bubble and the bubble of those thousands of idiots out there marketing 3D printers.  

3D printing is a SKILL.  It takes study, practice and hard work to learn.  

You don't buy a milling machine with no experience, and the next day expect to make racing engines when you barely know the basics of CAD.


No comments: